Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas 2011

 First of all these pictures are totally out of order but...I am just too darn lazy and pregnant to take the time to fix it.  So here goes.  It is a Voorhies family tradition to make homemade wassail and doughnuts the Monday night before Christmas and invite the entire free world. Since we live out of state we do our own party and Mike's brother in Texas does his own.  It's fun to know that on the same night all of Voorhies are carrying on the tradition. Kennedy helped Mike make doughnuts, we estimated that we made about 200 this year.
 We had a doozy of a Christmas this year. The girls and I flew out to Utah on the 22nd while Mike stayed and worked until he drove out the night of the 23rd, like the middle of the night. We weren't expecting him until the afternoon of the 24th but the boy loves a surprise.  In this pic of Sophie in her ice skating outfit I have to give serious props to my mom...that woman sewed her little heart out this Christmas.  Oh the things she made!  
 Mike making doughnuts at our party.
 The girls and I were pretty craftacular this Christmas. I didn't feel like going much of anywhere prior to Christmas so we kept busy at home. They crafted I packed up our house, they played I packed, they wined that they wanted to go somewhere and I um, packed some more.  Here is Soph playing with the gingerbread playdough we made.  Ken and I made Santas, a lovely snowman couple and anything else we could think of.

 Above are some of our fabulous friends at the party, Natalie and Sarah and some kiddos.
 Our button Christmas trees.
 Kennedy, Hannah and Sophie in their ice skating outfits.  My mom had to alter Kennedy's because she apparently had quite the growth spurt. She and Hannah use to be the same height, not the case anymore and gymnastics has caused Kennedy to have stronger arms than her Dad.  Oh wait maybe that doesn't exactly emphasize the largess of her muscles...seriously her shoulders are ridiculous.
 And well of course Kennedy and Hannah's American Girl dolls needed to have matching ice skating outfits, right?
 And matching pajamas.
 And that sassy Zebra striped dress, yup the dolls have a matching one too.  I seriously don't know how my mom was able to do it all...if it wasn't for her extreme fear of mice I would think she had some helpers in that  sewing corner of hers.
 Sophie got the collection of Disney princess barbies. While opening it, once she saw what it was she started to shake like crazy.  Kennedy was screaming and jumping like I have never seen before.  My brothers kids, who are much quieter and milder are always taken back by my girls... and frankly probably a bit frightened by them as well.  Shy they are not.  Quiet they are not.  Entertaining? Yes!
 This is the girls coming out Christmas morning. They both got microphones.  It's one of those gifts I knew from the get go that they would absolutely love and that we would be completely annoyed with. I was pretty excited about it though, I would have freaked if I got one as a kid.  They both sing ALL THE TIME and I did too as a kid.  Blake commented Christmas morning that he would have been so annoyed if I had gotten a microphone when we were younger...apparently the fact that I watched and sang Annie constantly wasn't really appreciated by my brothers.
Just a quick rundown of some of the gifts so the girls can remember. 
 Sophie:  princess dress up, princess polly pockets, barbies, princess play castle, microphone, books, various Disney movies she didn't have, dress up from grandma, pajamas, crown and clothes.
Kennedy:  karaoke machine, rock star dress up, shoes and clothes, doll jeep, doll bed, doll clothes and dress up from grandma, pajamas, books, gymnastics leotards, movies.
Mom:  16 place settings of new large and small plates, bowls and cups.  Spa day.  Books. Decor for new house and money.
Mike:  mountain bike rack for truck, books and money.
Finn:  clothes, blankets, books, stuffed animal.
Family:  Wii (given to us by friends...LOVE THAT) Just dance 3 and Toy Story Mania.
 Gotta have a rock star outfit, gloves and fake colored hair if your gonna have a microphone right?
 Sophie's preschool Christmas party.  
We came home to our trampoline looking like this after being picked up by 50 mph winds and rolling around  in the field for a bit.  When we got home and Sophie saw it she said "um Mom, the trampoline is broken."  Thanks Sophie.
After Christmas day things really went downhill. I got really sick and was pretty much in bed from Monday to Thursday.  My mom also got sick.  Mike had to drive from Utah to Pagosa Springs in Colorado to work until Friday so my saint of a sister in law took my kids for a couple of days so I could puke and sleep and lay around miserably.  We missed out on a lot of fun things going on with family and I was bummed to not be able to see and do all I wanted with everyone while we were in town.
Mike got home Friday and we drove back home on Sunday morning.
Next year my focus for Christmas is to simplify. Possibly no cards, less running around town trying to go and do every little thing or activity prior to Christmas, less gifts.  After listening to the first presidencies talks during the Christmas devotional this year I was really touched by this talk in particular.  I want more sitting and reading meaningful books with my kids ,more service and sub for Santa and more fun at home watching Christmas movies and spending time together.  When I look back at my favorite Christmases it had nothing to do with gifts it was making chocolates as a family, playing games Christmas Eve, going to a movie together, going to Temple Square or listening to the tabernacle Christmas program.
We really did have a great Christmas this year and feel incredibly blessed as we move into the next year.  We are excited to be moving into a new home and to soon be welcoming our third kid into our family.
Thank you to everyone for the fun cards, gifts and time spent with us over the holiday.

No comments: